Engine weights

Post here any thing you will like to tell others!

Moderators: gduhem, Morten

Re: Engine weights

Postby rodbargee » 10 Sep 2013, 21:22

The bushes were in good condition, the pins have a grease point and they had been greased up very regularly so little to no wear!

I Have come to the conclusion that the problems I had getting the axel to drop onto the new springs has been mainly caused by me not loosening the other side of the axel, if that's loose then I can get a little axel movement and fit both at the same time....trying to replace them one at a time is whats giving me the problem...
rodbargee

Postby rodbargee » 05 Mar 2014, 14:14

So finally its stopped raining and the suns out and there are no more excuses to be made so yesterday I finished off fitting the springs. My theory in the above post about why the axel wouldn't locate on the spring was the case. The other side once unbolted and with the wheel removed now allowed some movement of the axel...enough for it to locate properly!! I had to use a lorry ratchet tie down, wrapped round the axel and the bumper, thus dragging the axel forward 1/4 inch and it then dropped onto the locating pin (which goes through the spring)
Here they are fitted

You can get an idea of how heavy duty it all is look at the bulk of the diff! it really is a monster. The difference in it moving or not was hardly noticeable I was though shattered after I had fitted the second spring. The effort of moving such heavy stuff around lying down is considerable!

Now this is more like the ride height! nice and level.... the back looks like they might need a freshen up next! It now looks intimidating!!

Rather annoyingly since my last visit to the shed one of the other Shedders (must be a better collective noun....)has started to dismantle a Jeep almost in-front of the Sugga, with that and two other cars parked in the way I couldn't take it out for a drive, it could have driven over the tarped up MG but I don't suppose he'd have been too happy.

Still its ready to go!.....My only slight concern is that the springs might be too stiff, I cant suss that out without giving it a go off road...me jumping up and down on the bumper didn't really compress them much....:o
rodbargee

Postby rodbargee » 23 Mar 2014, 17:07

Finally got to road test the Sugga and the new front springs. I was really worried they were going to be too stiff but as soon as I drove out of the unit they felt great. Road manners are smooth and pliant and off road it feels just right. Taking differing terrain in its stride I'm delighted! :P

rodbargee

Postby Glynn » 24 Mar 2014, 19:50

excellent my friend has a sugga (iv only driven mine about 200metres) and i have driven it up a track and its a bone shaking ride.
Glynn

Previous

Return to Info about TP21