shock absorbers

Post here any thing you will like to tell others!

Moderators: gduhem, Morten

shock absorbers

Postby Costin Moga » 20 Sep 2010, 17:55

Has anyone experienced replacing the original sugga shock absorbers ?
Restore kits are no longer available, neither complete shock assembly. I've found a similar shock, almost same dimensions as the stock one,
but it comes from a very heavy lorry and am afraid it would be too stiff.
If you managed to replace shocks with new ones, please let me know model and code.
:?:
Costin Moga

Re: shock absorbers

Postby Krüger » 26 Sep 2010, 11:38

are you running with axles in orig. place ? I have the front axle under the springs, and I have replaced the front shocks with OME shocks from a' Toyota HDJ80 Landcruiser (something that was lying in the garage, not a' very good shock though) they fit on the frame mount, but on the axle I milled new bolts that could combine the OME shocks and Volvo axle, these shocks (OME shock or Tough Dog shocks) are awaylable in almost every length wanted and are reasenably cheap too aprox 130 euro a piece in DK
Krüger

Postby Costin Moga » 26 Sep 2010, 12:33

yes, I want to keep both axles as original - front one over the spring;
this is an option to fit some OME, but these shocks are 2/3 of the size of original ones - I'm afraid they will break no-time at all...
plus, a fabrication will be necessary like smaller bushes, but this is possible.
Costin Moga

Postby Krüger » 27 Sep 2010, 16:05

I have done some bit of offroading with the Sugga, taking off and landing with front axle in air, crawling rocks/cars, tough mudholes (broken cv joints) all on 44" boggers, and the OME shock have been working fine, but sure, there will be need of fabricating the bolt for the axle mount, but it is easy done I think, if you could give me the length of the shock you want, mm/inch compressed and mm/inch full out, then I might be able to find the number on the OME shocks you can use, or maybe a' shock from Tough Dog, I have good contacts with both dealers in DK

I actually thougt that the orig. shock where almost simular in diameter as big toyota/nissan rigs, the shocks I have seen from Tough Dog in DK are some thick ba@@@rds when comparing to the OME, maybe they are more alike the original ones (think OME vs Tough Dog are almost 1 inch thicker in diameter in the Dog's favour)

I also went to a' truck parts dealer in the beginning to find shocks, but found that they were expensive and also too hard for the Volvo as you say :)
Krüger

Postby Costin Moga » 27 Sep 2010, 17:43

I'm looking for a shock similar to original one in lenght both collapsed and extended:
39 cm collapsed
62 cm extended
(measured from eyecenter to eyecenter)
I appreciate your help !
Costin Moga

Postby küppi » 29 Sep 2010, 18:31

Hallo ich habe hinten die Stoßdämpfer vom Volvo 303/6 eingebaut.
Dazu habe ich die Befestigung am Stoßdämpfer vom Sugga Abgesägt, und an der neuen Stoßdämpfer angeschweißt.
die Volvo 303 stoßdämpfer sind im Ruhezustand genau so lang wie die vom Sugga, aber bei der Arbeit 10 cm länger...

Grüße küppi

Hi I have the rear shock absorbers fitted by the Volvo 303 / 6.
This I Sawed the attachment to the shock of Sugga, and welded to the new shock absorbers.
Volvo 303 are the shock absorbers at rest just as long as the Sugga, but at work 10 cm long ...

Greetings küppi
küppi

Postby Krüger » 11 Oct 2010, 16:35

Hi again, sorry for the late answer, but finally I got a' hold of the numbers on the shocks, in "Tough Dog" shocks you can get a' 620mm compressed and 640mm full length (a' bit mor flex then) the danish dealer can send them to you or you can try to look up a' dealer near you on their website

the shocks are thicker than OME shocks, and with 16mm eye/eye mounting. item number: SC41388

tough dog: http://www.4waysuspension.com.au/ dealers: http://www.4waysuspension.com.au/distributors

danish dealer: http://www.jyskoffroad.dk/ mail: jyskoffroad@sport.dk

hope it was usefull to you

Krüger
Krüger

Return to Info about TP21